Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Carmalized Onion Bruschetta

This recipe has been sitting in my "to-do" pile since 2008. Yeah, I printed it from here, and just never got around to it.

But I am now, and that is the whole point, correct?

Serving this to family as an appetizer, and it's all I can do to keep hubby dearest away from eating my onions!

I thought I had balsamic vinegar, but I was wrong. I substituted with some balsamic dipping oil I had on hand. Well, it's always on hand in my house!





Ingredients:
½ Cup butter
3 Large red onions, cut in half and thinly sliced
¼ Cup sugar
3 Tbsp raspberry or balsamic vinegar
1 Loaf baguette bread (cut into ½ inch slices)
1 Tub (8 oz) soft cream cheese with herbs or vegetables
2 Tbsp fresh parsley

Directions:
1. In 12-inch heavy skillet, melt butter over med high heat until sizzling
2. Cook onions in butter 5-6 minutes, stirring frequently, until onions are softened
3. Stir in sugar and vinegar
4. Cook 9-10 minutes, stirring frequently, until onions are very soft and light golden brown
5. Cool onion mixture slightly (about 10 minutes)
6. Set oven control to broil
7. Place bread slices on cookie sheet.
8. Broil with tops 4 inches from heat 1-2 minutes or until lightly browned
9. Turn bread, broil 1-2 minutes longer or until lightly browned
10. Spread about 2 tsp cream cheese on each bread slice
11. Top each with 1 tbsp onion mixture
12. Sprinkle with small amount of parsley


Print


Ingredients


No comments:

Post a Comment