Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Potato Au Gratin

I know, I am HORRIBLE about not having exact amounts when it's a recipe that belongs to me.I learned to cook with "a little bit of this and a little bit of that". Just be patient and try!

Unlike most au gratin recipes, I cook my potato prior to baking. I am not sure if this stemmed from scrambling to make dinner after a long day at work, or just out of sheer laziness...but either way, it cuts way down on the baking time.

I leave the skin on my potato, but that is personal preference. I also season with salt and pepper as the potato is cooking.

Ingredients:
4 or 5 Potatoes, sliced
Flour
Butter
Half and half
1 Onion, sliced
Assorted cheeses
Garlic Powder
Salt and Pepper
Paprika


Directions:
1. Cook sliced potato and onion in a skillet with butter until just about cooked thru
2. In the meantime, make a roux in a separate pot
3. Add cream to make a bechamel.Slowly add the cream until you have the amount you would like. More sauce= creamier potato
4. Add cheese to make a mornay sauce.
5. Flavor sauce to taste
6. Put cooked potato in a baking dish. Top with mornay sauce
7. Sprinkle paprika on the top
8. Bake until brown and bubbly


Print


Ingredients

Seasonings

Cooking the 'taters

Bubbly, brown, and creamy!


This recipe was shared at this party

No comments:

Post a Comment