Saturday, April 6, 2013

Kielbasa Saute

I just came up with this name, aren't I just clever?

My mom always made this as a quick (cheap) weeknight meal. Whenever we asked what was for dinner, we got "you know that kielbasa, cabbage thing!".
I will admit, I still find myself calling it that. Time for something a little more specific.

This is a great one pan meal. Quick cooking for the weeknights, but oh-so-filling.
Sometimes I throw this in the crock pot after it cooked to bring to parties and pot lucks, it always goes over well.

One of the best parts about this (as the one cooking) is that you don't have to take the time to peel the potato! You can if you want, but I find it easier to just wash and cut. The skin is where all the nutrients are and it helps keep the potato chunks intact.

I buy kielbasa whenever it is a great deal, so there is always one in the freezer. It defrosts on the counter (enough to cut) in about 30 minutes, so no "I forgot to take anything out of the freezer" excuse.

We always serve this with baked beans on the side. If we have some crusty bread too, all the better!

Hint: I LOVE it cold the next day for lunch too. No need to heat!

As far as how much of each veggie...it all depends on how many you are feeding. I always count on one baked potato sized potato per person and a handful of baby carrots per person.
Needless to say, the more (or less) you make, you might have to adjust the spices and vinegar.

Ingredients:
Kielbasa
Potato
Carrots
Onion
Cabbage
Italian Seasoning
Oil
Vinegar (white or apple cider)
Salt and Pepper

Directions:
1. Cut potato into bite sized chunks
2. Heat 2 Tbsp oil in large pan
3. Add potato. While potato is cooking, cut carrots
4. Add carrots.
5. Cut onion, cabbage, and kielbasa
6. Season potato and carrots with Italian Seasoning, salt, and pepper
7. Cook for about 5 minutes. Veggies should be starting to soften.
8. Add another 2 Tbsp oil
9. Add onion, cabbage, and kielbasa
10. Stir mixture together and cook another 10 minutes, stirring every so often
11. Add ¼ cup vinegar
12. Cook for another 10 or so, stirring every so often
13. Season to taste with more Italian Seasoning, salt, and pepper


Print


Just a couple ingredients, nothing intimidating

Oh how I wish this was a scratch and sniff screen!


No comments:

Post a Comment