Thursday, April 11, 2013

Reuben Bread

When I saw this recipe online, I knew I had to make it. We are Reuben lovers in this house, we make it as many times as possible.

I made this and brought it to my uncle's for a football party. It was cold out, so we put all the food outside while we watched the first game.
Between people having to "try" it, and pieces that apparently just "walked away", imagine my surprise when I opened the container to find just a few pieces left!

The next time I make this, I think I will put the corned beef and cheese down before the dressing, I think the crust would be crisper on the bottom (not that it was soggy!)

Ingredients:
1 Package active dry yeast
1 Cup warm water (105-115 degrees)
2 Tsp sugar
2 ¾ - 3 Cups bread flour
1 Tsp salt
1 Tbsp unsalted butter (room temperature)
⅔ Cup Thousand Island dressing
6 oz corned beef, sliced thin
4 oz Swiss cheese
¾ Cup sauerkraut, drained
1 Large egg white, beaten
Caraway Seeds

Directions:
1. In a small bowl, dissolve the yeast and 1 tsp sugar in the warm water until bubbly (about 5 minutes)
2. Combine 2 ¾ cups flour, remaining sugar, salt, and butter in a stand mixer (if you do not have a stand mixer, mix by hand)
3. Add the dissolved yeast and combine to make a soft dough,
4. Add an additional ¼ cup flour if the dough is too wet.
5. Knead for 4 minutes.
6. Turn the dough out onto a floured mat. Roll the dough to a 10x14 rectangle.
7. Spoon the dressing down the center of the dough.
8. Top with corned beef, cheese, and sauerkraut
9. Make cuts along sides of the dough, from the filling to the outer edge.
10. Tuck ends in first, then alternating sides, fold strips across filling.
11. Carefully move the bread to a parchment lined baking sheet.
12. Brush dough with egg white and sprinkle with caraway seeds.
13. Loosely cover the bread with a clean dishtowel and allow to rise for 30-45 minutes.
14. Cook at 400 for 25 minutes, or until golden brown and cooked through.
15. Slice and serve warm.


Print


Ingredients

Oh so good, and so much easier than I thought it would be!


Adapted from Recipe Girl


No comments:

Post a Comment