Saturday, April 27, 2013

Sweet and Sour Onions

My mother in law sent us a big box of Omaha Steaks for Christmas. They have been staring at us in the freezer ever since.

We decided to cook some up tonight as a treat for ourselves. (everyone deserves a treat after running errands and doing laundry, yes?)

I decided a yummy, new side dish was in order. I had seen this recipe and decided this was the perfect chance.

The initial boiling helps with the peeling process, but as well as I thought I had the onions peeled...I was lying to myself. On the plus side, as they are simmering in the balsamic reduction, whatever peels are left will start to peel off. I spent time fishing in hot, sticky glaze. Don't be like me. Make sure your onions are way peeled.

This recipe is worth the work though, they are aptly named and went over HUGE in my little family. Hm, maybe a contender for Thanksgiving next year?


Ingredients:
2 Lbs fresh white cocktail onions
2 Tbsp butter
¼ Cup firmly packed brown sugar
⅓ Cup balsamic vinegar
¼ Tsp salt

Directions:
1. Cook onions in boiling water (to cover) 10 minutes, drain.
2. Plunge onions into ice water to stop cooking process
3. Peel onions, set aside
4. Cook butter and brown sugar in saucepan over medium heat, whisking often, until butter melts.
5. Whisk in vinegar and salt
6. Add onions, bring to a boil.
7. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered 15 minutes or until thickened


Print


Ingredients

Sticky sweet dreamy!


No comments:

Post a Comment