Friday, April 26, 2013

Egg Drop Soup

My grandmother will drive all the way over to the mall to get Egg Drop Soup.
She is such a junkie about it, that is what she craves....ALL THE TIME.
Nana is the only person I have ever met who will go to an all you can eat Chinese buffet...and have 5 cups of soup!

She hasn't been feeling all so well as of late. I called the other day and my aunt told me that Nana was giving her the "I don't want to talk to anyone" signal. That's fine, when you live to be in your 80's, you can ignore the phone when you want...you have earned that right!

I am heading over to see her tomorrow and my mother taught me to never go to see someone empty handed.

Lately I have been making her breads, sweets, and applesauce. It's time for me to take a shot at her fave.

My dad made this a lot when I was growing up. Normally that would translate into "oh, if HE can do it, I can easily..." but my dad embraced cooking, he loved to make some pretty intricate food, and he made it well.

I just assumed this would be one of them.

Imagine my surprise when I realized how INSANELY simple this is to make!
I whipped it up in 10 minutes, and it will rival any take out joint I have ever been to.

Now...we need to find out if it is up to Nana's standards!

Ingredients:
4 Cups chicken broth
⅛ Tsp ground ginger
2 Tbsp chopped fresh chives
¼ Tsp salt
1 ½ Tbsp cornstarch
2 Eggs
1 Egg yolk

Directions:
1. Set aside ¾ cup broth
2. Add remaining broth to a large sauce pan
3. Stir salt, ginger, and chives into saucepan
4. Stir together the remaining broth and the cornstarch until smooth. Set aside.
5. In a small bowl, whisk eggs and yolk with a fork.
6. Drizzle a little egg at a time into boiling broth using the fork. Egg should cook immediately.
7. One all eggs have been dropped, stir in the cornstarch mixture gradually until the soup is the desired consistency.


Print


Really? That is it for ingredients?

Soups cure the ailing Nana!


Original recipe can be found here








No comments:

Post a Comment