Friday, April 5, 2013

Pot Roast Soup

I love finding great ways to use up leftovers! We are so incredibly bad about eating them during the  week.
When you can make it feel like a brand new meal, BINGO!
This recipe is adapted from here.

I made the pot roast for dinner yesterday, just in the crock pot with some carrots.
The leftovers became this soup (hence the name). I had enough carrots left over too that I used them instead of cutting up new ones, I just added them later on in the cooking time.

Sherry wasn't on my mind when I did my grocery shop this week. Luckily it's just splash, and not a  "main" ingredient. I used a splash of Marsala instead, and the flavors worked just fine.


Ingredients:
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 Tbsp butter
1 Medium onion, chopped
2 Celery stalks, chopped
2 Medium carrots, chopped
3 Large garlic cloves, chopped
½ Lb cremini mushrooms, quartered
1 Tbsp fresh thyme, chopped
2 Tbsp sherry
4 Cups beef broth
2 Tbsp tomato paste
1 ½ Cup leftover pot roast, shredded (plus any leftover gravy)
Dash of worcestershire sauce
Salt and pepper to taste
Parsley, for garnish (optional)

Directions:
1. Heat oil and butter in a large soup pot over moderate heat.
2. Add onions, celery, carrots, mushrooms, and garlic. Saute until tender and lightly browned.
3. Add thyme and cook, stirring for one minute
4. Add sherry and stir up any bits that have stuck to the bottom of the pan.
5. Stir in broth, tomato paste, and meat.
6. Simmer, stirring occasionally, about 25 minutes.
7. Taste for seasoning and add Worcestershire and salt and pepper


Print


Ingredients: minus the sherry and I decided to use left over carrots instead of fresh

Perfect on a chilly winter night!


No comments:

Post a Comment