Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Italian Sausage Soup

I go to work very early every morning so that I am home when the girl child gets home from school. It give us some alone time every day to just chit chat.

She walked in when I was making this and asked what I was making.
My evening went a little like this:

Me: It's an Italian sausage soup, my friend Rebecca gave me the recipe and I have been dying to try it.
Girl: Well, it sounds...um....interesting.
Me: If you think about it, with the exception of the carrots, it's everything that can be found in a pasta dish.
Girl: OK mom. I'm gonna get a snack.

Fast forward to an hour into simmering....

Girl: That smells soooo good Mom!
Me: Even though it was only "interesting" earlier?
Girl: :::sigh::: Mom, I meant INTERESTING like, I can't wait to eat it!

Even if she was a little "ugh" in the beginning, she ate it all up!

Ingredients:
1 Lb Italian sausage (casings removed)
1 Large onion (chopped)
1 Med carrot (chopped)
1 Stalk celery (chopped)
8 Cups chicken broth
1 (14.5 oz) Can of diced tomato
1 (8 oz) Can tomato sauce
1 Clove garlic (minced)
1 Tsp oregano
½ Tsp rosemary
½ Tsp basil
¼ Tsp thyme
1 Bay leaf
½-1 Cup orzo pasta

Directions:
1. In large pot cook sausage, onion, carrot, and celery over medium heat until the sausage is no longer pink. Drain.
2. Add chicken broth, undrained tomatoes, tomato sauce, garlic, and spices.
3. Bring to a boil, reduce heat. Cover and simmer 1 hour.
4. Add orzo and return to boil.
5. Reduce heat and cook, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
6. Serve with parmesan cheese.


Print


Ingredients: I got sausage patties instead of pulling from the casing

Dinner...and then lunch for the next two days!


No comments:

Post a Comment