Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Nacho Chicken Chowder

On the day I made this soup, I got up to leave for work...and it was 1 degree.
That weather is not fit for man nor beast!

I knew we had to have something warm, comforting, and delish. I had seen this recipe on Cooks.com and knew it was going to be the right fit for this cold, cold, COLD night.

I went to the store and could not find Mexican style stewed tomatoes, nor could I find nacho cheese soup. Did I let this get me down? NO!

I can handle this mini crisis. 

I ended up buying regular cheddar cheese soup and just regular stewed tomatoes. When I was putting everything together to cook, I added a sprinkle of cumin and a bit of chili powder to make up for what I was missing. At the end of it all, I didn't know any difference....tasted like I thought Nacho Chicken Chowder should.

Next time though, I think I will buy diced tomato...or dice up the stewed. Having the tomato a little more bite-sized would have been a little easier.

When I served the chowder, not only did I sprinkle it with some cheese, but I added a small dollop of sour cream. The cool sour cream was a nice contrast.

Not too sure how it is going to work in your house, but I dealt with lots of Cheez-It style "Nat-cho Cheese" bad jokes from the hubby ALL NIGHT.
He redeemed himself by coming home from work the next day and devouring an entire bowl for lunch. He is now forgiven for the cheesy jokes. (ha-ha, see what I did there?! Cheesy? Do I hear crickets? Whoops)




Ingredients:
1 Lb skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into ½ inch pieces
2 (14 ½ oz) Mexican style stewed tomatoes, undrained
1 (10 ¾ oz) can condensed nacho cheese soup
1 (10 oz) package frozen whole kernel corn
⅓ Cup shredded taco cheese or cheddar cheese

Directions:
1. In Crock Pot, combine chicken, undrained tomatoes, soup, and corn.
2. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or on high for 2-2 ½ hours.
3. Sprinkle each serving with cheese


Ingredients: With my basic stewed tomato and regular cheddar cheese soup

Bubbly and crock pot-a-licious


No comments:

Post a Comment