Thursday, October 25, 2012

Candied Citrus Peel

I realized...I make a lot of food that I don't/won't eat.
Food is such a comfort...I truly think that I get as much joy out of making something others will enjoy as I do making a favorite of my own.

I made this, with a little help from darling daughter, and it came with good reviews. I did have one aunt say it was a little strong. Maybe you have to REALLY like citrus to enjoy this treat.


Candied Citrus Peel

2 Grapefruits
3 Oranges
4 Lemons
1 ½ cup sugar


  1. With a sharp paring knife, slice off ends of grapefruits, ranges, and lemons. Following curve of fruit, cut away outermost peel, leaving most of the white pith on fruit. Slice peel lengthwise into ¼ inch strips.
  2. In a medium pot of boiling water, cook peel until tender, about 10 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer peel to a wire rack set over a rimmed baking sheet. Spread in a single layer to dry slightly. About 15 minutes.
  3. In medium saucepan, bring one cup sugar and 1 cup water to a boil over high, stirring to dissolve sugar. Add peel and boil until it turns translucent and syrup thickens, 8-10 minutes. With slotted spoon, transfer peel to wire rack, separating pieces as needed.
  4. Let dry 1 hour, toss with ½ cup sugar to coat.

No comments:

Post a Comment