There is always some of the boxed stuff in my cabinet, but whenever possible I make my homemade kind.
On that note, I have (over the years) collected quite the volume of mac and cheese recipes, so I have stared trying them out one at a time.
I figured this basic Velveeta recipe would be a good place to start.
1/4 Cup butter, divided
1/4 Cup flour
1 Cup milk
8 Oz Velveeta, cubed
2 Cups elbow macaroni, cooked
1/2 Cup shredded cheddar cheese
6 Crackers, crushed
1. Heat oven to 350
2. Melt 3 tbsp butter in medium saucepan
3. Whisk in flour and cook 2 minutes
4. Gradually stir in milk
5. Bring to a boil, cook and stir 3-5 minutes or until thickened
6. Add Velveeta, and stir until melted
7. Stir in macaroni
8. Spoon into 2 qt casserole dish
9. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese
10. Melt remaining butter, toss with cracker crumbs, and sprinkle over casserole11. Bake 20 minutes or until heated thru
I used Rotini to really "grab" the cheese
This recipe was shared at: Flour me with Love, The Chicken Chick, Uncommon Designs, This Gal Cooks, Six Sisters Stuff, Inside Bru Crew Life, Jam Hands, Chef in Training, Mandy's Recipe Box, The Craftiest Allie, Our Table for Seven, Pint Sized Baker, Future ExPat, and Tumbleweed Contessa