Monday, July 1, 2013

Meatball Minestrone (Crock Pot)

I am always online in search of new recipes to try. I have even hoarded multiple versions of the same recipe...just because sometimes slight variations make a world of difference.

I came across this recipe here, on the Jamie Cooks It Up site. It looked easy, family friendly, and (of course, my fave) was made for the crock pot!
I did change the directions, the original called for frozen meatballs (so feel free to use if you would like) I preferred to make my own.

My daughter's friend was going through a rough time the other day and so she decided to invite her over. Get out of the house, change of scenery, laughter with friends...you know what she was aiming for.
This soup happened to already be in the pot cooking away for dinner.
It seemed like it was "meant to be". Broken hearts need comfort...what better comfort than a big bowl of delicious homemade soup with people who love you?
Now that is good for the soul!

I will add, even with the four of us eating this..and then me taking it to work for lunches, there was still a LOT left. This does freeze well, which means another meal is ready to go!
If you decide to put your pasta in the crock to cook, it will get mushy. It will soak up most of your broth.
Your call, but consider this a public service announcement!

Ingredients:
3 (14.5 oz) cans Italian style stewed tomatoes
1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
4 Cups beef broth
1 ½ Cup carrot, sliced
½ Cup onion, chopped
1 Cup green beans
1 Tsp oregano, dried
1 Tsp Thyme, dried
1 (15 oz) can kidney beans
1 (15 oz) can garbonzo beans
6 Cups meatballs, cooked
1 (16 oz) box ditalini pasta
1 (10 oz) can tomato soup
Parmesan Cheese

Directions:
1. In large crock pot, pour 3 cans tomatoes and 1 can tomato sauce.
2. Add beef broth.
3. Slice up your veggies, add to crock pot.
4. Add seasonings.
5. Add beans
6. Add meatballs
7. Cook on high for 6-8 hours.
8. Add tomato soup. Mix well.
9. Cook pasta according to package directions.
10. To serve, add pasta to bottom of bowl and spoon soup over. Garnish with Parmesan cheese.


Print


Ingredients: Fresh green beans can be used, but I had frozen on hand

Little baby meatballs for my soup!

This was so hearty and filling, yum!



No comments:

Post a Comment