Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Creamed Onions

I love creamed onions, they are such a Thanksgiving staple!
I like them at other meals as well though, the flavor is so light, it's easy to prepare with anything.

My mother came up to visit this past Thanksgiving, and when she asked me who was making what, I read her the list (we have a LARGE family).
When I got to creamed onions, she looked at me like I was speaking Latin. "What in the world are creamed onions" she asked.
Um.
Considering I learned 99% of my cooking from my parents and Nana, I was at a loss. I really don't remember a time in my life where I didn't have them...but she is telling me she has never heard of them, much less make them.

So, we now have a creamed onion mystery.
Cue "Twilight Zone" music here...do do do do

Ingredients:
Onions (either sliced or baby pearl)
Cream
Flour
Butter
Garlic Powder
Pepper


Directions:
1. Sweat onions in butter until they are clear
2. Make a roux with equal parts butter and flour in a separate pan.
3. Add cream slowly and stir until you have enough of a bechamel to cover your onions
4. Season with garlic powder and pepper to taste


Print

No comments:

Post a Comment