Friday, August 2, 2013

Chicken Rojo

Darling daughter and I are in love with Mexican food. Hubby dearest, well, he isn't.
What is really funny though, is that if I make it at home, he gobbles it up!

I should take that as a compliment, but I just find it odd. It cuts down on our "trying to keep the cost down while eating out" options.

I am pretty OK making the basics, fajitas, tacos, enchiladas, quesadillas...but I decided to search online and find some recipes that are a little more "authentic". I came across this one and thought it sounded easy enough to try.

We all found it very good! The heat was there, but wasn't too much for someone like me. I kept the sauce just a little juicier so I could serve it over rice and have that soak up the flavor too.

Ingredients:
3-5 Chicken breasts
6 Tomatoes, large
½ of an onion, cut into quarters
3 Tbsp of oil
2 Cups chicken broth mixed with 2 Cups water
1 Tsp oregano
½ Tsp cumin
1 Tsp garlic, peeled and crushed
½ Tsp unsweetened cocoa powder
1 Tbsp red chile powder
Salt to taste

Directions:
1. Preheat broiler to high
2. Heat one tbsp oil in large pan over high heat
3. Brown chicken pieces on each side.
4. Cover chicken with broth and bring to a boil.
5. Slice the top off each tomato and place cut side down on a cookie sheet along with the onions.
6. Drizzle 2 tbsp of oil over tomato and onion
7. Place under broiler and remove when tomato skins become very wrinkled and shriveled
8. Add in chili powder,cumin, oregano, garlic, and cocoa to chicken
9. When tomato is finished, cook for 1 minute, and peel. Use a spoon to remove the seeds.
10. Mash tomato and add into chicken sauce. Separate onion quarters and stir into the sauce.
11. Let sauce reduce while chicken finishes cooking


Print


Ingredients

Once this finishes reducing, I served it over rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment