Yeah...not so much.
The girl and I have learned the importance of clever naming in order to
When we saw this recipe on the Brown Eyed Baker site, we knew we were GOING to have this...but what to do with hubby. Hm.
We decided we would just call it lasagna.
Worst case scenario, we would use the words veggie lasagna.
All I heard while cooking was "OMG something smells soooooo good".
Yeah, my win was short lived. The girl and I happily ate away while hubby picked the mushrooms out. Every. Last. One.
2 Lbs portobello mushroom caps (gills removed and sliced)
¼ Cup olive oil
Salt and Pepper
1 Cup water
½ oz dried porcini mushrooms (rinsed)
2 Lbs red onion (chopped fine)
8 oz white mushrooms (minced)
4 Garlic cloves (minced)
½ Cup dry vermouth
3 Tbsp unsalted butter
3 Tbsp all purpose flour
3 ½ Cup whole milk
¼ Tsp ground nutmeg
¼ Cup plus 2 Tbsp minced basil
¼ Cup minced parsley
12 Lasagna noodles (cooked)
8 oz fontina cheese (shredded)
1 ½ oz Parmesan cheese (grated)
1. Heat oven to 425
2. Toss portobello mushrooms with 2 tbsp olive oil, ½ tsp salt, and ½ tsp pepper
3. Roast portobello mushrooms in the oven about 30 minutes.
4. Transfer to a large bowl and set aside
5. Microwave the porcini mushrooms in the water for 1 minute or until steaming. Let sit for 5 minutes.
6. Drain mushrooms thru a sieve, reserving the mushroom water. Coarsely chop mushrooms.
7. Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a 12 inch skillet until shimmering
8. Add onions, ¼ tsp salt, ¼ tsp pepper, and cook. Stir occasionally until softened.
9. Transfer the onions to the bowl with the portobello
10. Heat the remaining 1 tbsp olive oil in the empty skillet until shimmering. Add minced white mushrooms and cook until browned and moisture has evaporated.
11. Stir in the porcini mushrooms, 3 garlic cloves, 1 tsp salt, and 1 tsp pepper
12. Reduce heat to medium and cook until the garlic is fragrant (about 30 seconds)
13. Stir in the vermouth, stirring occasionally, until the liquid is evaporated
14. Stir in the butter and allow to melt. Add flour and cook, stirring constantly for 1 minute.
15. Slowly stir in reserved porcini liquid
16. Gradually add the milk, stirring constantly
17. Stir in nutmeg and bring the sauce to a simmer
18. Cook until the sauce has thickened
19. Take off heat and stir in ¼ cup basil and 2 tbsp of parsley
20. Toss together fontina and Parmesan cheeses
21. Spread one cup of mushroom sauce over bottom of prepared 9 x 13 dish
22. Layer noodles, spread more mushroom sauce and some cheese. Repeat until all noodles are used.
23. Cover dish with aluminum foil (spray the side that contacts with lasagna) and bake 20 minutes
24. Combine remaining 1 clove garlic, 2 tbsp basil and 2 tbsp parsley in a small bowl
25. Remove foil, increase oven temperature to 500 and continue to bake until the cheese becomes spotty brown, about 6-8 minutes
26. Sprinkle lasagna with the garlic herb mixture27. Let stand 15 minutes before serving
Come party with me HERE!