Saturday, June 1, 2013

Red Beans and Rice

I don't remember where/why/how/when but one day hubby declared "I just don't like any Cajun food".
Considering he loves spice...and has never HAD any Cajun food, I thought it was an odd thing to say.

Playing around online, I found this recipe and decided to adapt it to my own needs (read: convenience).

I had bought Cajun seasoning for another recipe a million years ago and was psyched to be able to use some more of it. Hate buying something and having to throw it away!

The only "difficulty" I found in this recipe was finding chipotle powder. Apparently it isn't a hot commodity at my closest grocery store. I found some chipotle marinade and used some of that powder. If it changed or "ruined" the flavor, I wouldn't be aware. Tasted good to us!

Hubby has now decided that he is willing and able to try more Cajun recipes...yay for breaking down barriers!



Ingredients:
2 cans (15.5 oz) kidney beans
4 Garlic cloves (chopped)
1 Tsp black pepper
1 Tbsp powdered chicken stock
1 Tsp garlic salt
1 Tsp dried chipotle powder
1 Tsp liquid smoke
2-3 Bay leaves
1 Onion (chopped)
1 bell pepper (chopped)
1 Tbsp butter
1-2 Tbsp salt (according to taste)
1-2 Tsp cajun seasoning
¼ Cup butter
1 Tsp tabasco sauce
2 Tbsp cornstarch
1 Lb smoked sausage

Directions:
1. Drain beans and place in crock pot along with black pepper, chicken stock, garlic, garlic salt, bay leaves, chipotle powder, and liquid smoke.
2. Cover with water until it just covers the bean mixture.
3. Saute peppers and onions with butter
4. Cook on low for 6-8 hours
5. Remove bay leaves, add ¼ cup butter and stir.
6. Add cornstarch with a small amount of water to dissolve, add to bean mixture to thicken.
7. Cook rice according to package.
8. Slice smoked sausage and cook until nicely browned.
9. Season with salt if desired.
10. Put rice in single serving bowls, add beans, top with sausage.
11. Sprinkle with additional cajun seasoning and/or tabasco if desired.


Print


The Weber package was my chipotle marinade

So, I made the servings way too big. This is an incredibly filling meal!


No comments:

Post a Comment