We have no Shoney's around us...I did visit one for breakfast, in Florida, about 10 years ago...so I cannot validate this recipe.
A quick google search pulled up a bunch (like this one), so I assume this to be truth.
My truth is that this soup is delicious! We all very much enjoyed it, and it reheated well for lunches.
Having the crushed chips in the broth was a different texture, it kept things interesting while the cheese kept it creamy.
When I served it, I added cheese and sour cream to the top.
2 Medium onions (diced)
1 Red bell pepper (diced)
1 Green bell pepper (diced)
1 ½ Cups corn kernels
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
2 Tbsp minced garlic
2 Lbs cooked chicken breast (chopped)
12 oz beer
16 oz salsa
2 Tbsp ground cumin
2 Tbsp chili powder
1 Tbsp salt
1 Tbsp ground pepper
64 oz Chicken broth
2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1-2 Cups crushed tortilla chips
1 ½ -2 Cups shredded cheddar cheese
1. Cook onions and bell peppers in oil over medium heat for about 2 minutes
2. Add garlic and cook another 2 minutes
3. Add chicken and beer, cook 2 minutes
4. Stir in salsa, cumin, chili powder, salt, pepper, chicken broth, and Worcestershire sauce
5. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes6. Stir in chips and shredded cheese. Cook 10 minutes