Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Snowball Cookies

My daughter had a friend over and I thought these cookies would be fun for them to make. I ran to the store, grabbed the ingredients and set the butter out to soften.
The night went on, and they were too interested in watching movies. Cookie time with Mom was out of the question.

Fast forward to the next day, I came home from work thinking we would get right into cookie rolling.
Nope...her friend had a school project to work on and was going to be leaving shortly, in fact, her father was on his way.

My only child spent the rest of the night in hiding. She (forever!) has needed decompression time after a friend leaves, or when she comes home from a friend's (especially one with siblings). She is one of those very few who enjoy being an only child and only remembers when she deals with sharing her "space". So...no cookies then either.

Fast forward again. I came home from work, made dinner, and then sat down on the couch with a book.
All of a sudden my hubby is going "what in the world ARE you doing"?
I couldn't stand it anymore.
I had ingredients. I had soft butter.
I was baking cookies at 9 pm on a work night. Anyone who knows me knows this is too "late" for me to start a project on a work night.
There was no way I was going to be able to sleep without these being made.

Hubby test-ate one for me that night. He gave it two thumbs up.
Brought a couple with me to work the next day for an afternoon treat. Oh yum!

I can see these easily making their way into my Christmas cookie list. The original recipe has candy sugar rolled on it for the holidays. Hint taken!


Filling:
6 oz peanut butter chips
6 oz semi sweet chocolate chips
¼ Cup powdered sugar, sifted
¼ Cup peanuts, finely chopped

Cookie:
3 Cups all purpose flour
1 ¼ Cup butter, softened
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
Powdered sugar

Directions:
1. Combine chips in a double boiler and heat until mixture is smooth. Remove from heat.
2. Add powdered sugar and peanuts. Mix well.
3. Let chocolate mixture sit at room temperature until firm enough to shape.
4. Roll ¾ inch balls and set aside.
5. Preheat oven to 400 degrees
6. In large bowl combine flour, butter, and vanilla.
7. Knead until well blended.
8. Shape into one 11-inch roll log. Cut into ¼ inch slices.
9. Take a slice of dough, and use your fingers to gently spread out.
10. Place a chocolate ball in the center of the slice.
11. Shape dough around filling, seal and roll into a ball.
12. Roll ball in powdered sugar.
13. Place on un-greased cookie sheet and bake for 10 minutes.
14. Cool slightly, and then roll in powdered sugar again.


Print


Filling Ingredients

Dough Ingredients

Slightly lumpy, but very much delicious snowball cookies!


This recipe was shared on: Let's Dish Recipes

2 comments:

  1. Yum! I have a snowball recipe that my mom made for years,and it's delicious, but it has no filling! I will have to try your version too. I found your recipe at Katherine's Corner (cookie exchange.) Love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I have a snowball recipe that my mom made for years,and it's delicious, but it has no filling! I will have to try your version too. I found your recipe at Katherine's Corner (cookie exchange.) Love your blog.

    ReplyDelete