Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Easy Chicken Lo Mein

Recipe adapted from Iowa Girl Eats

My daughter and I love lo mein and get it every time we order Chinese. Picky hubby though, claims he just can't bring himself to try it or even consider the fact that he might like it.

When I found this recipe, darling daughter and I were oh-so-very excited about dinner. We also decided not to tell Dad what was for dinner that night. We he asked, our answer was "chicken". Good enough.

I managed to forget the green onion at the store, and I don't own a wok as is suggested in the recipe. How different could it be though?
We didn't miss the green onion. We like them, we would have loved to have them, but it was good without.

I ended up using my largest pan to make this, and as far as I am concerned, we didn't need a wok.

And...just like Mexican fare....hubby decided he likes it made at home. So, while we will never have a third eater for that leftover Chinese in the fridge, he will eat this every time. WIN!


Ingredients:
4 oz dry spaghetti
1 Tbsp oyster sauce
2 Tbsp soy sauce
¼ Cup chicken broth
Pinch of red pepper flakes
1 Tbsp canola oil, divided
1 Large chicken breast, cut into strips
Salt and Pepper
1 Large carrot, thinly sliced
1 Large celery stalk, thinly sliced
4 oz mushrooms (sliced)
1 Cup broccoli florets
2 Green onions, chopped

Directions:
1. Cook spaghetti in a large pot of salted boiling water until al dente. Drain, set aside.
2. Combine oyster sauce, soy sauce, chicken broth, and chili flakes, set aside.
3. Season chicken strips with salt and pepper, set aside
4. Heat pan, add 1 tsp of oil. Add chicken and cook until no longer pink in center. Remove to a plate and set aside.
5. Heat another tsp of oil, add carrots and celery. Cook until slightly tender.
6. Add remaining tsp of oil, then add mushroom, broccoli, and green onion. Cook until vegetables are tender.
7. Add cooked chicken and noodles. Pour in sauce, mix together well, and serve.


Print


I cheated and used the pre packaged broccoli and carrots
Just also noticed I forgot the celery in this picture...whoops

Probably the only time I ever wished for chopsticks


No comments:

Post a Comment